Accra is probably one of the least violent cities in Africa, but crimes such as mugging and purse snatching exist. You should use common sense and take the same precautions that you would in any large city. Here are some very simple rules that will help you avoid nasty experiences.
• Keep your possessions with you at all times; keep purses (do not carry large sums of money) and bags close to you at all times.
• In a car, keep your purse, briefcase or any valuable object, out of sight and keep the car doors locked at all times. Do not carry your original documents but have photocopies with you instead.
• In all circumstances, be patient, friendly and polite. Ghanaian people have a very good reputation for being extremely friendly and helpful.
• Avoid large crowds and be alert.
• Immediately upon arrival, you should register with your Embassy or Consulate. It is helpful for them to have an accurate listing of who is in the country in case of a natural or other type of disaster.